With so many chocolate temptations about at the moment it’s hard not to impulse buy a packet of chocolate eggs at every checkout! That’s my excuse anyway.
To help use up some of these potential impulse buys, I’ve created this chocolate brownie recipe with a packet of mini caramel eggs. This could also be used for creme, or plain chocolate eggs too so long as they’re the mini versions. Topped with an extra dollop of home-made quick caramel they’re divine!
It uses the highest cocoa content dark chocolate I could find (at least 70%) as this adds a bitter sweet taste, which balances out the intense sweetness of the caramel eggs.
I have also reduced the amount of sugar added to ease the sugar load, while certainly not sugar-free (!). I feel less guilty about eating them knowing I’ve reduced the sugar a little to allow for the caramel egg goodness.
You may notice it uses half butter, half oil. This is to keep the brownies super moist and less cakey.
Finally I also recommend only using the mini eggs, these are much easier to eat and also cheaper too, as buying 6 full sized caramel eggs isn’t cheap! The thought of eating a whole chocolate egg on top of a brownie slice is a little too indulgent for my taste, so the mini eggs are a better option (and make me feel better about eating a whole tray).
Quick Caramel Sauce
- 200g dark brown sugar
- 25g butter
- 150 ml sour cream
- 1 tablespoon condensed milk
- In a heavy bottom pan melt the butter with the sugar on a medium heat. Stir continuously until any grainy texture has gone, you should be able to tell this by the noise the wooden spoon makes on the pan. (Do not touch the mixture).
- Add the condensed milk, followed by the cream and mix well.
Like the sound of this recipe? Why not pin for later?
Caramel Egg Brownies
- 3 eggs
- 1 egg white
- 125g dark brown sugar
- 225g extra dark chocolate
- 100g butter
- 100ml cooking oil
- 100g plain flour
- 25g cocoa powder
- Using an electric whisk, beat the 3 eggs and 1 egg white with the sugar on a high level for at least 2 minutes until thick and pale.
- In a heat proof bowl over a pan of simmering water break up the dark chocolate, and add the butter and oil. Stir gently until all melted and combined. Remove from the heat and set to one side for approx 3 minutes.
- While waiting for the melted chocolate to cool slightly, sift the plain flour, salt and cocoa into a bowl.
- Gently fold the chocolate into the egg mixture, followed by the flour and fold all together.
- Pour into a lined baking tray, or greased silicone tray and dollop a few teaspoons of the caramel sauce randomly into the mixture.
- Bake in the oven on 150 'C for 15 minutes.
- While in the oven cut each mini caramel egg in half and set to one side, ready to position in the brownies.
- After 15 minutes remove the brownies from the oven and drizzle extra caramel sauce on top, then carefully place the caramel egg halves into the top crust of the brownie, spacing evenly.
- Place back in the oven for another 10 minutes.
- Remove and allow to cool completely overnight before cutting.
- Serve with an extra dollop of the caramel sauce.